B3: Chanel Enforces One Bag Per Passport Rule

bbm442 Having heard of this rule since way back in 2011, it came as no surprise when I found out it was being enforced for real. Yes, Chanel is now enforcing the one-bag-per-passport rule, the latest groan coming from a friend in Paris who was stopped from buying another Chanel bag at Rue Cambon yesterday when she had already bought one the day before at Chanel Galeries Lafayette.

To make matters ‘worse’, one is only allowed to buy another Chanel bag after 60 days within Europe, which technically rules out most of the countries we already head to for work or play. Apparently only a Chanel-Europe-exclusive ruling, and while I can understand most of the lamenting that happened on Facebook, it’s not really a bad thing.

Plagued with cash-rich tourists from the country that shall not be named, they plonk down wads of dollars and then purchase almost everything in plain sight, like moneyed locusts. And if you’re anything like me, the sight of empty, bare shelves is a tear-jerking spectacle, especially after the trauma of a post 12-hour flight jetlag. The other reason is probably to stop resellers from getting in-between the brand and the customer, ending up making decent profits marking up bags they bought in Europe and then reselling them in Asia; in the long run doing nothing positive for the brand’s carefully cultivated image.

Both of which are vulgar. Which calls to mind something Coco Chanel once said. ‘I love luxury. And luxury lies not in richness and ornateness but in the absence of vulgarity. Vulgarity is the ugliest word in our language. I stay in the game to fight it.’

Vulgarity comes in different shapes and sizes, but is often found clutching coloured printouts with serial numbers in tow. In other words, I’m with Chanel on this one. Yearly price increments, on the other hand? Not so much.

Image: Chanel

Comments

• Sharon says:

Hi I’m going to Barcelona and Madrid this month, can I buy 1 classic in each city? Thanks!

• Ashley says:

Hi, was wondering if I can buy a classic and 2 WOC in Italy? Many thanks!

• Alison says:

I just came back from Italy and yes, they are still quite strict about the one bag per passport. However, I notice they don’t have your previous records even though I purchased from Paris in February this year. Might be able to try if you’re travelling through different EU countries. I purchased a Balenciaga in Paris in February and when I went to Venice, in July, apparently they have my records in the system. So good luck if you want to try!

• Schvelle says:

Hi, I was wondering if I could buy 2 WOC in Paris at end of the year? Because I’m not really sure if the WOC is considered a bag or wallet. Please help!

• Holly says:

My tip is to buy from Chanel in Heathrow Airport, there is no VAT charged so you don’t have to waste time queuing up for the rebate or have the admin fees deducted from the rebate.

The only catch is the store only stocks seasonal items (definitely no 2.55s but they sometimes have GSTs). On the occasions when I’ve been there staff are really friendly and if you call ahead they will reserve items for you. It seems the one bag rule isn’t applied as stringently (as long as you don’t buy multiples of the same design as my colleague got 3 bags).

• PINK says:

May I know if I could buy two Chanel bags with the exact same design using one passport? I’m travelling to Paris and I’m bringing back one for myself, another for my friend. Thanks.