Rimowa Topas Black 63

Consider this a second instalment with regards to my ongoing quest for a new piece of luggage. Last week, I briefly mused about the new Globe-Trotter ‘Red, White And Blue’ series, which while visually stunning, costs quite a fair bit too. This week, I’m back with my first love, namely Rimowa, and something I’ve been leering at for quite a while now, the Rimowa Topas Black 63.

A special collection that’s only available in selected markets around the world, this collection features multi-wheeled luggage in anodised jet-black matte, which is as cool and as Bond as it gets. Featuring TSA-approved combination locks, the 68 cm by 45 cm by 26 cm is also the right size as far as long-haul travel is concerned, big enough to be actually useful, yet not too big till it becomes cumbersome.

And because it’s multi-wheeled, moving it around from point to point would be a breeze too, as compared to my current suite of Classic Flight pieces which are harder to maneuver, especially when they are full. Available in a wide range of sizes, they range from SGD1950 to SGD2260 in Singapore.

The one I’m eyeing here comes in SGD2090, which really isn’t so bad considering I’m been using Rimowa for a good 3 years now without a hitch. Check them out for yourself at Rimowa boutiques island wide, including Mandarin Gallery, Marina Bay Sands and Millenia Walk.

Image: Rimowa

Comments

• Mark O says:

Hi guys, I’m travelling to Hong Kong this week… I heard its cheap over there but not sure if its cheaper than Singapore’s price. Do you have any idea how much it costs in Hong Kong?

• Peisze says:

To be completely honest, I wasn’t really won over by the quality. Some said the quality had deteriorated or not that good at all as compared to one direct competitor. Nope not that Samsonite, its the other German manufacturer of aluminium luggages. Can’t recall the name for now. But saw them on sale at Isetan Scotts. You should get the limited edition color at Lane Crawford Hong Kong – gorgeous gold/bronze. Rimowa is so much more expensive in Singapore. I have 3 currently. Would like to own the aluminium range eventually.

• stella says:

other than the salsa light range, don’t you find the other rimowa styles pretty heavy? also, how would you deal with scratches on styles with shiny surfaces?

i’m considering a rimowa but am stalling on the above two considerations

My Classic Flight suite is all scratched up and dented all over, but that’s the beauty of it.

As for the weight, I’m so used to it now that it does not really bother me anymore. And because it’s a hard-sided case, I’m not worried about its contents being crushed or broken.

• Diana says:

Nice piece!

What is your email address? Would like to send you a pic of new Hermes scarf. Thanks!

• a.Fasione says:

OMG. That is one handsome piece of luggage! You should get it!! I love Rimowa luggages – they’re uber utilitarian while looking fantabulous. I’ve been converted to Rimowa as well and I can’t see myself using any other luggage.

Just a thought though, if you know anyone in the US, ask them to get it for you. It’ll be so much cheaper!

Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated!

• mambo says:

Just got the Salsa Air 29″ in Blue from the Munich airport too. Perfect trolley for a petite traveller and it cost less than S$500! We now own a family of 3 Rimowas (two check-ins and one cabin luggage). The version you show above has the handy strap/magnet to lug your extra shopping bags at the duty free, great feature. Love them!

• S says:

That’s a gorgeous piece!! Got my first Rimowa luggage earlier this year at a luggage store in Munich… it was cheaper than at the boutique and dept store. Wish I had gotten a bigger one though!