Ask The Bagaholicboy #115 – All About The Coffer And Other Bits…

Q: Dear Bagaholicboy, I recently discovered the Coffer and subsequently fell in love! I went online to do research, including going through your old posts (which is a treasure) but came out with a couple of unanswered questions. While I know the colour that I want (Nero/Black) and size I want (Large/Regular), would you mind sharing with me what sort of leather the Coffer comes in? Does it come in lambskin, calfskin or patent leather? And what is the difference between these leathers?

Just wondering if you would mind either doing a post or replying to my email please? Sorry for the 101 questions but I am a noob when it comes to designer stuff. Thanks in advance.
Katherine Quek

A: Dear Katherine, thanks for the email. I did a quick check with Miu Miu’s PR rep in Singapore and this is what I found out. The Miu Miu Coffer typically comes in either lambskin or calfskin only. The main difference? While the former is softer to the touch, the overall sheen is more pronounced in the latter, but again that depends on the colours available for the season, which differ from year to year. I’ve only seen patent leather on the Coffer bag charms, and these vary in colour from season to season.

Made in Turkey, the Coffer comes in 2 sizes, Large and Medium. The one in Large measures 42 cm across, the one in Medium, around 31 cm across. Last but not least, you can check them out at Miu Miu Paragon, ION Orchard and Marina Bay Sands. Or if you’re looking for the Nero/Oro combo in Large (black with gold-tone hardware) online, check out Net-A-Porter where it sells for GBP995 or around SGD2000 before shipping. Besides Black, they’ve also got it in Dove-Gray, and Nude.

Or check out Diabro if you don’t mind checking out the ones in Medium, where they retail for USD1391 (or around SGD1815) each.
Love, Bagaholicboy

And other bits
1. Dave, it is pretty hard to simply declare 5 of the best bags for men simply because I’ve got too many favourites. However, since you’re heading to London and Paris, do take the time to check out Balenciaga (lots of new designs for men lately), Goyard (a true iconic classic) and Mulberry (fuss-free and simple designs).

2. Stella, bags made of nylon are pretty easy to care for in general. In fact, you don’t have to do much except to keep it clean, and a simple wipe-down with a soft damp cloth once a month will suffice.

3. Angie, for a bag that’s similar to the Coffer in terms of versatility, you should consider a shoulder bag along the lines of the Louis Vuitton’s Delightful, YSL’s Roady or Chloé Paraty.

4. Kelvin, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter where the items are made (be it China or France), so long as the quality is excellent and of course, the price is within your budget. And if it is love at first sight, it is still love no matter where it comes from.

5. Ya Li, based on your budget of SGD2000 for a non-canvas bag, you should check out all the ongoing sales now, which should yield you the bag you want. Check out brands like Céline, Givenchy, Loewe and Mulberry for a start.

6. Charlene, if you are referring to the new Monogram Vernis colour Bleu Infinite, it hasn’t been launched in Singapore just yet.

Image: Miu Miu

Comments

• jaxon says:

Hi there, I enjoy reading through your post (and your blog). I wanted to write a little comment to support you, and say thanks!

• nick says:

hi bb, heard miu miu is coming up with some small bag charms. Any chance there’ll be a mini coffer? and what’s the price on that?

• yvv says:

Hi Baggieboy!! Love ur webbie to the maximus!!!

I have a quick question regarding the Coffer bag. I found out that the seasonal colors for S/S11 is the Cammeo and Denim. Should I buy it in HKG or the US website you recommended? Do you think the US website would result in taxation at the customs? Pls advise as I really want to get on hands on one!! Thanks alot!

Anything ordered online and costing more than SGD400 (including shipping costs) will be subject to 7% GST, which you’ll either pay during checkout online, or in Singapore when the package arrives.

• yvv says:

oooh! thanks alot for your advice! Im askin a friend for help now and if I get my piece i’ll send a pict!!! thks hav a great day!

• yan says:

Hi, ever since i found your site from Google, it’s been one of my most regular visited site. I love the thing you recommend here!

Would like to ask your opinion on Prada embossed nappa leather wallet, do you think the design will be out of trend? Thanks.

• Novice Bag-Lover says:

Hey BB, I’m new in this love-relationship with bags. The most i have is LC bag. So i really in need of help of identifying the bag in the email I sent you and is it availble in Spore and would be grateful if you can provide the price as well. Thnx…

• Katherine Quek says:

Thanks Bagaholicboy!

• Cat says:

Unfortch…. I think I’m finally over the Coffer craze.. next IT bag please!

• Katrisha says:

BB, I thought the coffer came in four sizes- the coin purse not included? I’ve seen small ones in Selfridges London Miumiu and Westfield Miumiu, plus in Harrods before I saw a baby sized one that was just so absolutely adorable…

• tiffany says:

BB! i miss your ‘Ask the Bagaholicboy’ entries!! Your last one was in july!

• Dave says:

Thanks for the enlightenment! Will definitely drop by the recommended boutiques for inspiration!

No problem! In London, Goyard and Balenciaga are across the road from each other at Mount Street.

Also, you must check out Mulberry’s new flagship at 50 New Bond Street.

Dang, I miss London!