Q: Hi there Bagaholicboy, I’m kinda experiencing a situation of having no one better to ask because my friends are all not that into buying designer bags nor are they as updated as you are. I’m currently studying in NUS (National University of Singapore) and seriously need a bag for school. I was thinking of getting the Damier Ebene Neverfull (either in GM or MM) but I’m just afraid that it would be too flashy. I don’t really want people saying that I’m this spoilt brat who uses designer brands for school bags but I really really love it because it is quite timeless and not too serious at the same time.
If you know students from NUS, almost a good 70% don’t really dress up (or rather don’t bother to), and I just don’t want to blend in nor do I want to stick out like a sore thumb. Or do you think I should just forget about the Neverfull and go for another bag.
A: Dear Closet Nerddy, I am seriously at a loss at what to say. Yes you want a designer bag, and yet you don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb. This is quite a conundrum don’t you think? Frankly you can’t have it both ways. Yes the Louis Vuitton Damier Ebene Neverfull GM (a much better choice than the MM especially if you have files to lug around) is a gorgeous bag, and one that’s destined to be a classic. On the other hand, carrying a designer bag around campus will definitely invite stares and envy, you just got to be mentally prepared to deal with it.
Which leaves you 2 options. You can either get some nondescript bag and be miserable knowing that you are not 100% happy with your decision.Or you can just get it and be 100% happy knowing you are toting around something that gives you pride and joy day after day. So what if you are labelled a ‘spoilt brat’? It’s definitely worth it.
Image: Louis Vuitton
And other bits:
1. Brian, the bag you are after (Monogram Miroir Keepall) came out a few seasons ago and is no longer available at the boutiques. Your best bet is to keep a lookout on reputable resellers like Interesthing or Let-Trade.
2. Debbie, because you are 1.6 m tall, I would suggest you get the one in MM size. You really don’t want to be dwarfed by a huge bag.
3. Nur, I am not sure most hetrosexual men would want to carry a pouch/clutch around, even if it is for his personals. I suggest you find him a more stylish sling bag to replace his old one instead, like the Mulberry Joel for example.
4. Junni, with a SGD400 budget you can easily find wallets for men at Bally, Gucci and Mulberry. Also check out Club21 Men for ‘uncommon’ brands like Balenciaga and Jil Sander (though they may cost a little more).
5. Ling, get the Monogram Canvas Trouville if you love it, as the bag itself is not ageist. You can always also choose to jazz it up with a matching bag charm or bandeau.
6. Justin, I am not sure if this wallet from Gucci is available in Singapore yet (can anyone here help him out on this?). And if you really have to get it from the States, other options you can look at besides VPost include OneNow and Citibank’s Globeshopper.
7. Nikki, why not consider some vintage camera bag for your DSLR? There are loads of them on eBay, most of them have loads of character and are very affordable too!
8. Wati, all 3 bags you picked are lovely (Monogram Canvas Alma, Trouville and Manhanttan PM). Personally I am torn between the first 2, but if I have to pick just one I say go for the Alma. She’s a classic beauty!