Q: Hi Bagaholicboy, I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now. I appreciate that your blog has been helpful/informative to lots of bag lovers like myself. I have been thinking for a while now about would be the best investment bag to start off my own collection. I’ve been doing some research and found two that I like. The Louis Vuitton Epi Speedy30 and the Gucci Joy Boston in Guccissima leather. Very similar in style and price, and I like that they are both classic pieces. I also wonder if it’s okay for a guy to carry such a bag considering it is specifically made for a girl? I would like to make sure I am making the right decision, and I think that you are the right person to ask about this matter. Thanks so much for your help.
A: Hi Tom, let’s start first on what would be the better investment piece. Because Louis Vuitton never goes on sale, it is still one-up over Gucci, which frequently has end-of-season sales to clear whatever is left. Also because it is popular all over the world, it also commands a much higher resale value, evident on auction sites like eBay, as well private resellers that specialise in mostly in Louis Vuitton like Interesthing.
Now on to your next query, on whether it is ok for a guy to carry a Speedy. Actually this is not the first time I’ve answered this query. Another reader, Vainkid, asked me the same question last year. And at that time I said no. This time round however, I am just going to say this. If you love it enough to rock it without being affected about how people are going to look at you (or say about it), by all means go ahead. It’s your life, your money and your bag at the end of the day.
And before I end off, here are a couple of boys I would like you to meet. On the left, Mario and his Graffiti Speedy30 in Lime Green (from Chile), and on the right, Kenny (from England), with his Graffiti Speedy30 in Orange.
Images: M.F & K.T
And other bits:
1. P, best you give the Balenciaga boutique a call at 6733-8270 to find out the price and what colours are available at the moment.
2. Delora, I don’t think it is a good idea for a girl your age (17) to carry the Monogram Canvas Palermo GM to school. Not only will it age you, you will end up inviting envy which is never good. I say pick the Marc by Marc Jacobs Dr. Q Lil Riz instead.
3. Kristen, if you are torn between the Louis Vuitton Stephen Sprouse Graffiti Speedy30 and the Balenciaga The City, but also want a casual city bag, than definitely go for the Balanciaga instead. It’s much lower in maintenance and easier to use on a daily basis.
4. Tim, if you are not comfortable with buying the Goyard Saint Louis GM from Hide And Seek, by all means wait till Goyard actually opens in Singapore (which is quite confirmed though I do not have the exact details yet). Alternatively, if you are going to Paris (or know someone who is), get it from there instead and enjoy the savings.
5. Erza, it is hard to suggest just one bag charm to match all 3 of your Vuitton bags, considering that they are are all pretty different (Daimer Ebene Broadway, Damier Graphite Tadao and Damier Geant Messenger NM), but I will try. Do consider the Louis Vuitton Jeans Key Ring in Silver or the Louis Vuitton Trunks And Bags Key Holder.