Q: Dear Bagaholicboy, since your blog is so thoroughly informative and up-to-date, you’re sure to have a large group of avid readers. Having a teenage fan or two isn’t that much of a surprise either. Being 20 this year, I don’t even dare dream of getting myself more than a small tote from Kate Spade (for which I have to save like mad anyway) or a wallet from Comme des Garçons. What advice do you have for girls like us? Start young now or start only when we can afford it 5 years down the road? Another problem. To start young, what do you propose we should do?
The Little Sister
A: Dear Little Sister thanks for your email. Honestly there is no age limit when it comes to bags, only what you like and what you can afford. That said, since you have to save ‘madly’ for life’s little luxuries, why not put that money towards something that will last a lifetime instead? No there is nothing wrong with picking up a Kate Spade, Longchamp or Agnes b. once in a while, but if you want to do it right, I’d rather you scrimp and save to put the money towards iconic classics.
One that every woman (young and old) should own is the Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Speedy25, which has been around forever and costs SGD1030. Yes it is pricey, but if you want to start young and do it right, this would be the first step towards a bag collection that you will be proud of.
At the other end of the spectrum, another bag you can consider (another classic that never goes out of style) is the Longchamp Le Pliage Handbag which comes in a variety of sizes. Starting from SGD145 for the smallest one and available in a myriad of colours, you will definitely find a shade that suits you. Good luck with your bag collection.
And other bits:
1. Huaida, the Manon PM in Ebony is SGD1280, while the Manon PM in Platine is SGD1400. The Saleya PM retails for SGD1590. Happy shopping!
2. Chris, the Coach Signature Stripe Patent Tote you enquired about is available in Singapore at SGD605, and colours left are Red, Brown and Magenta. As for sales, they usually have 30% to 50% off, depending on the individual item.
3. Teck Ting, there is no such thing as the ultimate manbag, but you will be the first to know if I ever find it. Meanwhile check out Vuitton’s new bags from the Utah range, I am loving the Utah Mowa that retails for SGD5400.
4. Ya Li, I am not sure of any reputable online site that sells Longchamp (and will ship to Singapore). Best you put yourself on the wait-list and hope more stocks come in before Christmas.
5. Sarah, I agree with your girlfriends. SGD1205 is too much to pay for that Longchamp bag. Stick to Louis Vuitton dear, the Speedy35 (SGD1110) in comparison is a much better buy. And I want to see pics when you get it!
6. Ryan, your choice of the Bottega Veneta Pilot Bag is awesome. For me to make any other suggestions, check out this list of messenger bags, tell me your preferences and I will get back to you again.
7. Karen, definitely get the Miu Miu Leather Coffer Bag. I am not exactly sure how much cheaper it would be in Milan though. Other brands worth checking out are Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Gucci and Prada.