Ask The Bagaholicboy #62 – A Manbag For SGD7000?

Q: Dear Bagaholicboy, I enjoy reading your blog and I was so inspired by it I went out last week to get myself a card holder from Bottega Veneta (we need to practise some form of self-love sometimes).

I am in my late 20s and work in the civil services sector. I am looking for a new bag that I can use for work and play. I prefer something subtle and because I already have 2 sling/shoulder bags from Bally, I am not too keen to get another sling/shoulder piece. Currently I am eyeing this tote bag in Brown from the Spring-Summer 2009 Mens Louis Vuitton collection. Would you happen to know the price? I also would not mind a bag from Bottega Veneta, or any other suggestions you may have. My budget is not more than SGD7000. Thank you.
Ben Chang

A: Dear Ben, congrats on your Bottega Veneta splurge! And yes I agree, tough times or not we all have to practise some forms of self-love at all times. I do not have the price of the tote bag you are eyeing from Louis Vuitton just yet, but I expect it to be in the SGD3500 to SGD4500 or so range, which will fit your budget just fine.

Alternatively with such an ample budget, I am also going to share with you 4 of my favourite manbags from the next season, and if you like any of them I suggest you start getting your name down at the respective boutique from December so that you will the first to know once it comes in. And who knows, you may even be able to get 2 manbags at the same time with the budget that you have.
Love, Bagaholicboy

Clockwise from top left:
1. Gorgeous leather tote from Prada, great for both work and play
2. A bit far-out, but definitely high on my wish-list, large Gucci tote with shoulder strap
3. A boxy Hermès briefcase, quirky and full of character
4. Last but not least, a neutral leather duffle from Bottega Veneta

Images: Style Hermes

Comments

• Ben says:

Just like any other civil servant who is working hard to earn his own keep.

Not an issue of being rich, but the question is simply whether are you willing to spend on something which is considered an indulgence to many.

• 00o00 says:

i am totally loving that hermes case. TOTALLLLY!

i think it will retail for about… S$7500+? they had a hard case luggage last season and retailed for abt £2500 so i guess pricing should be similar?

i want!

• mr. panda says:

7K can get a decent Hermès for play, as for work, pump in more!

Get BV, it’s good in quality, understated yet tastefully sleek.

• Mervyn says:

I must say with a budget of $7000, Ben can definitely get 2 nice bags that meet his requirements.

A seasonal tote from Louis Vuitton be in the range Bagaholicboy mentioned. And with the rest, I second Bboy’s recommendation for a full-leather Prada tote.

Alternatively, if shopping overseas (either from a friend, proxy or online) is not issue. Do consider a briefcase from Valextra or if Ben doesn’t mind monogram, the Goyard Ambassade is a good buy too at about $3000+.

Lastly, I don’t think $7000 would be able to get Ben much from Hermès. A simple leather tote (slightly over A4 size) will set you back almost that amount already.

Have fun shopping! Oh, I want $7000 too!

Fallapart be nice. He never did say it was a bonus payout, and maybe he is just rich like you are?

• fallapart says:

wow, despite the recession and all, it’s nice to know our civil service sector is still pushing out fat bonuses from hardworking taxpayers. fabulous!