Sitting in during the press interview Stuart Vevers gave while in Hong Kong just a couple of days ago, I sat in the background, furiously taking notes and trying to make sense of everything that was asked and answered.
Here are the 10 choice nuggets from the man behind the Spanish luxury house Loewe.
‘The Loewe woman is grown-up and pulled together.’
– When asked the type of woman he designs for.
‘I love doing collaborations with designers (like Katie Hillier) and artists I look up to/admire to keep pushing the brand forward.’
– One of the ways he keeps the brand relevant and referencing the new limited edition Masters Of Leather collection.
‘There are many French and Italian luxury houses, but only one Loewe.’
– He professes his love and explains in one line why he thinks the Spanish luxury house is so unique.
‘The brand is focused on doing what we do best, instead of doing everything.’
– Staying true to the brand’s passion and skill for leather crafts that has been handed down from generation to generation.
‘Every season we look at new techniques to make leather even more wearable and lightweight, and work towards making it suitable to wear all year round.’
– On what is always at the back of his mind whenever he is in the midst of creating a new collection.
‘The ‘It’ bag is never about the logo, but always about the design.’
- When asked what he places emphasis on whenever he starts working on a new bag.
‘They can’t be too heavy, and they must be functional as well.’
– Clearly, he knows what women want as well when it comes to bags.
‘Giving customers a say as to how they would want their bags to look like, and getting them involved in the process.’
– When asked how the idea of having the Made-To-Order collection came about.
‘Not all archive bags translate from the archives. We try and try and sometimes it just doesn’t work. But when it does, it turns out beautifully.’
– Referring to the Vintage Re-Edition, an archive piece that’s featured in the MTO collection.
‘We wil relaunch our mens collection next year in Paris during PFW.’
– One of the things the boys can look forward to from the house come 2012.
Post interview, I had a quick chat with the man himself and I’m happy to report that Loewe will be launching technology cases next year, and also, there will be a Papelle in grey/black for the guys come 2012.
Thrilling, isn’t it?