As promised, here’s the much overdue post on Goyard in Hong Kong, which is currently located at the grand old dame, The Peninsula in Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. A small quaint outpost, the 80 sqm isn’t exactly the biggest compared to the other designer brands, but then again, Goyard isn’t exactly the same as other designer brands.
Established in 1853, Goyard only has a handful of stores around the world, something which makes them even more coveted. Less is more? Indeed. As far as the selection goes, the Hong Kong store is pretty self-sufficient, but because the brand is so popular around the region, most of the desirable bags are almost always sold out.
I could go on and on, but here are my top 10 points to note when shopping in Goyard. If you’re planning a trip soon, don’t forget to bookmark this post.
01. Goyard Hong Kong does not take email orders. Unlike their London or Paris counterparts, Hong Kong is not yet equipped to handle overseas orders via email or phone.
02. When it comes to the bags and SLGs at Goyard, do note that there are different prices for different colours. Black, Red and Tan are the basic colours, while all others like Blue, Burgundy, Green and Yellow retail for around 30% more.
03. There are 3 basic colours (Black, Red and Tan) and 7 other colours, each colour having a numeric code. For example, Black is 01, Red is 02 and so on. Pink is not one of the 10 regular colours, but a limited edition hue that pops up from time to time.
04. There is, however, one exception. All the colours for the classic Goyard Saint Louis are priced the same, HKD8700 for the MM and HKD9900 for the GM. The Goyard Belvedere (shown above), which is one of the newest additions to the family, retails for HKD15,000 and HKD17,500 respectively for the 3 basic colours.
05. Another new bag, the Goyard Voltaire which is a roomy vertical A3 tote, is also the first one in the family to come with its own detachable shoulder strap and it retails for HKD17,000.
06. SLGs to check out that I personally adore include the Varenne (a long continental wallet for the ladies) that costs HKD8200 and the passport cover for the men that can easily double up as a travel wallet which retails for HKD4300.
07. Bags for men worth checking out include the Diplomat, an A4-sized briefcase that retails for HKD19,200. Another Goyard basic, the Ambassade retails for HKD22,670. The larger Ambassade 24H goes for HKD30,700. All prices listed here refer to the 3 basic colours only.
08. Prices at Goyard Hong Kong start from HKD2300 (around SGD350 after conversion) for the flat card case in the basic colours.
09. The Hong Kong boutique will take requests for monograms, but they will take up to 8 weeks to process as all painting is currently sent to and executed by the craftsman based in Japan. Prices are dependent on the number of initials and stripes if desired, and it is best to get a quote directly from the boutique.
10. Last but not least, Goyard never goes on sale. Really.
Any other questions? Please leave them in the comments section and I’ll try to answer them as best I can.